Intermediate Plant Process Engineer
We are looking for an Intermediate Plant Process Engineer to support our dynamic team. As an integral member you will work closely with our other process engineers on conceptual process design, as well as preliminary and detailed engineering and design.
The position requires an in-depth understanding of fluid mechanics and thermodynamics and heavily involves the application of transport phenomena knowledge in chemical engineering. You will also have the opportunity to work with other engineering disciplines and as such communication skills are a key quality. Your pride in producing accurate, high-quality and practical designs will be a vital part of this exciting new position.
- Designs new gas processing plants, monitors modifications and upgrades, and troubleshoots existing process designs.
- Applies the principles of mass, momentum and heat transfer to process and equipment design, including conceptual, scheme and detail design.
- Performs process design and detailed calculations, such as mass balances and equipment sizing, line sizing, hydraulic/pump sizing, materials selection, plot plan inputs and plant classifications.
- Develops Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs) and assists in the development of piping and instrument diagrams (P&IDs).
- Develops equipment lists and data sheets, process control and shut down keys.
- Performs process simulations on various software (eg, HYSYS).
- Assists other engineers in preparing conceptual project designs, reports and proposals for process systems and equipment.
- Reviews design documentation from equipment manufacturers or subcontractors and provides recommendations.
- Performs techno economic analysis (TEA) and evaluates the capital and operational cost of projects.
- Works closely with process, mechanical, and electrical engineers to develop P&IDs.
- Ensures all aspects of a design meet specified regulations.
- Resolves problems using standard engineering procedures and developed in-house design tools and procedures.
- Assists in the review and preparation of project control documents and status reporting.
- Participates actively in safety reviews and HAZOP studies.
- Carries out other related tasks and projects as required.
- Experience: At least 5 years’ industrial experience
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering
- Technical: Must be proficient in the use of the Microsoft Office suite of products, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Other: Proficiency in computer aided-design equipment and computerized processes such as Aspen Hysys is required; an understanding of boiler technology and design/modelling of heat recovery steam generators, FEED studies, TEA
- Critical thinking skills and good judgment
- Ability to work well with cross-functional teams and diverse groups of stakeholders
- Adaptable to change
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills in establishing cooperative working relationships both internally and externally
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- High level of initiative
- Good time management, with ability to organize, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong customer service skills, including ability to build credibility and trust
- Excellent analytical skills with ability to make sound recommendations
- Ability to travel to work site as required
- EIT or PENG Registration in EGBC or APEGA is preferred.