Intermediate/Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Department: Technology Development
Reports to: Manager, Mechanical Engineering
Position Type: Regular, Full Time
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Mechanical Design Engineers are responsible for the design of key components, assemblies and sub-systems within the Inventys Mechanical Design Team related to CO2 capture equipment. They will use advanced engineering techniques to solve component and system level problems and develop creative solutions to address the product level requirements and improve product performance and durability.
- Generate and develop innovative solutions for various mechanical components.
- Investigate and define component and system level engineering specifications.
- Justify design decisions through engineering calculations, analysis, and modelling and create supporting engineering documentation.
- Participate in design reviews, continuous improvement activities and failure resolution activities.
- Design and procure prototypes and test components to validate design concepts prior to production.
- Prepare manufacturing documentation, work instructions, assembly details, and control plans.
- A Mechanical Engineering Degree recognized in Canada is required.
- 10+ years’ minimum experience in mechanical aspects of product design and development.
- Experience conceptualizing and designing complex mechanical systems and assemblies containing multiple complex sub-systems, interlinked by mechanical, fluid, and electrical systems.
- Experienced in the design, manufacture, and commissioning of heavy industrial equipment for use in a gas processing environment
- Ability to justify design decisions with calculations, analysis, and written documentation.
- Experience and proficiency with SolidWorks 3D CAD software and creating detailed manufacturing drawings.
- Have good verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Have an ability to communicate effectively on technical matters with colleagues, customers, and suppliers.
- Be self-motivated and capable of working independently as well as in small teams.
- Be organized and use time effectively.
- Experience with rotary machine and seal design.
- Experience with fluid and gaseous seals, static and dynamic.
- Experience in thermodynamics, mechanical design and dynamics, valves, seals, metals, and materials.
- Working knowledge of SolidWorks simulation tools or other FEA software tools.
- Knowledge of standard drawing practices including ASME Y14.5M and Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance (GD&T).
- General understanding of manufacturing processes and relevant design standards.